Reedsburg bride-to-be dies after house fire on wedding day
REEDSBURG, Wis. (WMTV) - Instead of celebrating a wedding, Paige Ruddy’s family is planning a funeral after she died as a result of a house fire on her wedding day in Reedsburg.
The 19-year-old’s family explained Ruddy died of a brain hemorrhage Wednesday afternoon as a result from smoke inhalation on Tuesday.
“She was just a precious human. There was nothing about her that you couldn’t like,” Ruddy’s Aunt Holly said. “She was this presence you never knew you needed in your life, but always did.”
Holly said Ruddy and her fiancée Logan Mitchell-Carter exchanged their vows privately Monday night before the small wedding. The couple wanted close family to join them at the Sauk County Courthouse for the ceremony which was supposed to be on Tuesday.
Lily Markgraf graduated from Reedsburg Area High School with Ruddy in June of 2022.
Markgraf said Ruddy was the first friend she made when moving to Reedsburg in seventh grade.
”She had a big caring heart,” Markgraf said. “She was there for anyone who needed it, even if she didn’t like the person. If they needed her help, she’d be there to help them. I’m going to miss her for the rest of my life.”
Holly described her niece as a person who loved hard with a spunky and independent attitude.
The family will hold a private funeral service sometime within the next week. Holly said they will hold a public celebration of life at a future date.
Ruddy’s family asked that others honor her memory by hugging their loved ones tight.
Ruddy was living with Mirchell-Carter with his grandparents who owned the home on the 200 block of W Second St in Reedsburg.
Holly said the family does not believe there were working smoke detectors located in the home, and asked that others double check their own homes to prevent similar situations from happening to them.
Click here to download the NBC15 News app or our NBC15 First Alert weather app.
Copyright 2023 WMTV. All rights reserved.