MFD: Gas leak found in downtown Madison apartment building

Gas leak
Gas leak(MGN)
Published: May. 25, 2023 at 3:02 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) - Firefighters were forced to break into a downtown Madison apartment Wednesday afternoon after someone left their stove on, the fire department reported.

A resident of 103 N Butler St reported smelling natural gas from an apartment unit in the building and said there was no response when they knocked on the door, MFD said.

Crews used an air monitor to find high levels of gas outside the unit and turned off the gas service for the building.

After evacuating the building, firefighters forced entry into the apartment. MFD reported no residents were home, and a stovetop burner had been left on without a pilot light.

The apartment was ventilated, and residents were allowed back inside with the recommendation that they leave their windows open, MFD said.

Click here to download the NBC15 News app or our NBC15 First Alert weather app.